This simple racing stripe transforms the room from a nursery to a proper big-boy room. I didn’t want to spend ~$15 on a pint of interior paint and the stripe is high enough on the wall it shouldn’t see a lot of wear so I opted to use a bottle of $2 craft paint. The letters are laser cut 1/8″ MDF attached with double-sided tape.
Updates from steve918 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
Designed using iDraw on Mac, cut out of 1/8″ fiberboard, then painted silver. After that they went back into the laser to etch the lettering and filled in the lettering with a black Sharpe. I attached some badge magnets to the back with hot-glue to finish them off.
After doing mobile programming for a while I’ve become fond of the simple, non-performant, OS key-value stores. While playing with Golang on the Raspberry Pi I thought it would be nice to have.
So for your amusement I went ahead and released it. https://github.com/steve918/keystore
It seems like Google is targeting Amazon directly with their latest legal agreement.
Section 3.4 of Google’s new terms, which were updated Tuesday, reads, “You agree that you will not take any actions that may cause or result in the fragmentation of Android, including but not limited to distributing, participating in the creation of, or promoting in any way a software development kit derived from the SDK.”
The Kindle is by far the most popular Android device that provides a derived SDK.
Here are a few of the references I used to get it working:
- Tutorial to build from source from Dave Cheney. Also has some great info for setting up swap and increasing the amount of RAM available by reclaiming video memory
- This is a wonderful tutorial on how to build from the Debian sources which will give you nicely packaged deb files.
- Pi Patch By Dave Cheney
Between the three of those
I have a working installationand my test app is pretty snappy. The embedded web-server and test app are running on less than 1mb of memory so far. For anyone who is interested I uploaded the .deb files so you can install them via dpkg instead of waiting on it to compile.
I also got a $10 wifi dongle I purchased on eBay working, great fun this weekend.
Update: Although having Debian packages would be nice the method I used had some issues when using cgo. For this reason I would highly recommend building from the current repository tip from source using the first tutorial above by Dave Cheney. By doing so you will no longer need to apply the patch listed.
My wife made me this great clock for my birthday. The brake disk was free at a local bike shop. Very cool “up-cycling”. (very much pun intended)
Below are some before and after pictures of my kitchen lighting project. After picture looks really black in the shot, but it is oil-rubbed bronze. Total cost was around $20, $5 can of paint, and 5 light hoods at $3 each.
My son’s 5th Birthday party was pirate themed, but no pirate party is complete without a pirate ship with a plank to walk!
The sail is PVC pipe and some cheap red fabric. The bottom of the boat is a couple of pieces of scrap 3/4″ plywood I had left over from building some garage shelves. The sides are some really cheap paneling I got from home depot along with the 1″ strips I used for ribbing. The bench and plank were cut from the same piece of 2″x10″. Then I used some left-over stain and house paint I had in the garage. Total build time was around 16-18hrs, total cost not counting scrap materials was about $50.
Below are some pictures of my office in my new house. The piece I’m most proud of is the standing desk I put together from cheap parts purchased at IKEA. Overall I have $51.50 in parts. To keep cost down it’s mounted on one side and the back to the wall using standard shelf mounts I paid $0.50ea for. The top is an IKEA Vika Amon for $20 and the single leg is a Vika Byske priced at $30.00. You could save some money if you came up with a cheaper option for the leg, but this one looks good and is adjustable up to the height I needed.
Attaching the legs to the bottom of the table. Notice three sides are attached to the wall with $0.50 shelf mounts.
Using the file cabinet to support one side, nothing attached to the wall yet, just getting it level.
The final result! Being used to write this blog post.
I spent some time and searching a experimenting with different heights by stacking my file cabinet and some books on the side opposite the leg. I settled in around 44.5″ and screwed it into the wall with the assistance of a laser level.
I’ve drilled a hole through the top with my hole saw and just need to find a grommet to stick in it to finish it off.